I understand how important it is for you to find an editor who is the right match for you and your manuscript. Sometimes that means interviewing several editors to find your right match. For that reason, I always offer a sample edit, free of charge, before you commit to any editing services.
Book Editing Services
After good writing, editing is the next most important step in preparing a book for publication. We can provide editing for every stage of your writing process.
Developmental Editing (Content Editing) is also known as big-picture editing and addresses just that — the big picture, or overall story, of your book. I do not provide developmental editing because it is not my area of expertise, but I can refer you to a very qualified developmental editor if that is your need.
- Word usage and word choices
- Excessive wordiness or the overuse of “crutch words”
- Good sentence and paragraph flow
- Consistency in the manuscript
- Style issues
While punctuation, spelling, and most grammar issues will be corrected during line edits, it’s a important to do a final proofreading before your manuscript is published.
Proofreading is appropriate for a manuscript, or any other text, that is basically ready for publication. The proofreading step occurs after the manuscript has been formatted and the interior layout is complete. Proofreading does not address the content, organization, or flow of the text, and will only address the following:
- Homonyms (for example, their, there, they’re)
- Grammar and/or correct word usage
- General formatting (spacing, line breaks, indentation)
- Any errors introduced during the formatting process (it does happen occasionally)
Once you’ve determined I’m the right editor for you, we will process an editorial agreement and the submission of your manuscript, along with down payment, will get the process started. Payment terms are:
- Total cost $100 to $200: Payment in full due up front.
- Total cost $300 to $500: One half (50%) due up front, balance due before manuscript returned
- Total cost >$500: We’ll work out the details together!
I can accept credit card or debit card payments through PayPal. Check payments are acceptable, but checks must be cleared before edits begin.
For line edits, manuscripts can be submitted via email and should be in a Word document. I will make all edits within the documents using Microsoft Track Changes and comments. Any additional critiques or comments will be returned in a separate Word document.
Turnaround time will vary depending on the length and complexity of your manuscript, and the type of editing required. Expect a minimum of 4 weeks (but prepare for more) for a manuscript of 70,000 words.
You can submit a Project Inquiry if you’d like to start discussing your project, or use the Contact form to send me any questions you might have, or request a sample edit.